91 riders register for this double discipline event – 8 Kite-Surf heats completed for the men in solid waves. Read on to find out more!
Welcome to theÂ Kite GlobingÂ /Â C-Beach ClubÂ spot at Bel Ombre in the southeast corner of the beautiful island of Mauritius. This is the second double event of three this season that will see both the Freestyle and Kite-Surf disciplines on the GKA Kite World Tour take place over the following ten days.
The Men’s Kite-Surf round one began today (Friday) – find the full summaries of the eight heats that ran onÂ this live pageÂ link.
This southeast facing reef here at Bel Ombre picks up swell even when there’s very little around the rest of the island, as you can see. The cross-shore wind begs the riders to show us maximum performance surfing and there’s more of the same tomorrow!
The stand-out rider of the day was on the water in the first heat, Brazilian Pedro Matos. Smooth, powerful and confident, his vertical strikes and sense of finding the gap to get one more lip smack in as well as his ability to pick out the biggest waves of the session were very impressive.
Day One Men’s Kite-Surf Results:
- HEAT 1 Pedro Matos (BRA) beat Sylvester (MRU)
- HEAT 1B Charlie Wise (AUS) beat Arsenio Dias (CV)
- HEAT 2A James Carew (AUS) beat Joshua Emmanuel (SA)
- HEAT 2B Sebastian Ribeiro (BRA) beat Simon Joosten (BAR)
- HEAT 3 A Reece Myerscough (CAN) beat Ricot (MAU)
- HEAT 3 B Oswald Smith (ZAR) beat Camille Delannoy (FRA)
- HEAT 4 A Mitu Monteiro (CV) beat Martin (MRU)
- HEAT 4 B Willow-River Tonkin (MRU) beat Pablo Amores (ESP)
There are two live event pages for the week: Freestyle or Kite-Surf depending on which discipline is running at the time, where you’ll find the live ticker of heat info and the live scores over the coming days!
The GKA social media feeds and stories are also packed with updates throughout the day. Stay tuned for more updates!
Friday 6th September 2019
Words: Jim Gaunt
Photos: Ydwer van der HeideÂ
Featured in this Post