“Non-Stop Research and Development” this is the slogan representing the brand philosophy, underlining the brand passion and commitment to the research and the development of every single product in the RRD range.
The brand philosophy suits perfectly to the constant engagement of RRD to the best Professional Tour and World Cup competitions. We’re talking about the RRD brand DNA, an attitude that originates the brand foundation.
Check out RRD’s Year 23 Product Overview
RRD’s Year 23 Kites
One-Strut – “A complex search for simple solutions”
The RRD Emotion MK3 is a one-strut kite developed for those who are looking for a kite that is specifically designed for light wind performance, freeriding and hydrofoiling with great turning speed, stability, and boosting power.
A lightweight, simple, clean, and easy to use kite with exceptional relaunch is the standard for the new RRD Emotion MK3.
Developing a stable profile in low winds, gusty winds, and overpowered conditions, while maintaining exceptional relaunching, was a real design challenge. But the decision to offer a new thrilling alternative for kiters that want to simplify their quiver and be able to be the first one on the water easily outweighed that challenge. It is truly amazing how compact this kite is and how little wind is needed to fly and to get you riding. The MK3 is suited for all disciplines, from freestyle to freeride, or from hydrofoiling to waves. The Emotion MK3 is a faithful companion that will enhance your stoke for the sport.
- One strut frame structure to secure easier water re-launch and keep the weight as low as a strutless kite.
- Double Dacron reinforcements on the strut and a Kevlar reinforced end of the strut.
- Improved Quick Air Flow Valve for easier pumping and deflating, with special molded protection cap.
- Techno Force™ Double Ripstop.
- Standard Features
- Internal- and external extra reinforcements on every leading edge panel, to secure a long lasting stitching & a rigid connection.
- Radial reinforcements on the tips and leading edge with a 45°angle.
- Bridle anti-tangle device.
For more information about the Emotion MK3, please click here
Introduced 6 years ago as an “entry level” all-around kite in our range, the Vision has received tremendously positive feedback and strong following from a consistently growing group of kiteboarders around the world. A real versatile, easy to use, fun, responsive and predictable kite that will allow you to freestyle, wave ride, learn how to kite or go fast on a freeride board both upwind and downwind. A real thrill to have in your hands. Simply a real all-terrain machine!
This year we have made many changes. The Vision’s shape is now more open which increases the turning speed and provides less bar pressure. The bridles and the pigtails are also shorter and overall the new features distinguish the Vision as a wonderful kite for all freeride and wave riding. All of the high-quality finishing details on the kite have remained the same and have included all the various new features as the other kites in the range.
The Vision MK5 is ready to be your quality choice if you need to simplify your life by having to use only one kite that can do it all. In other words: a ‘real all-terrain kite’, great for Freeride, Freestyle and Wave.
- 3 struts design body to save weight and improve handling
- Trailing edge reinforcements and leading edge protections on every seam. Longer lifetime for your kite
- Internal extra reinforcements on every leading edge panel, to secure long lasting stitching & rigid connection
- Exclusive Strut/Leading edge reinforcement panel sawn at 45 degrees: this spreads the impact loads on a wider area
- Moderate aspect ratio kite, combining the best mix of proportions both on the body and the bridle design
- Quick Air Flow Valve for easier pumping and deflating, with special moulded protection cap
- Radial reinforcements on the tips to improve durability
- Tips equipped with bridle anti-tangle device
For more information about the Vision MK5, please click here
Freeride / Wave / Big Air
The Passion MK9 is the benchmark of a high performance, 3 struts, Freeride, Wave and Big Air kite, impressing everyone from entry-level riders to experts.
The MK9 still delivers pure, predictable power, paired with amazing stability. This ‘new best thing’ is a fantastic kite for all-around freeride, wave, big air, and freestyle progression that provides a perfect blend of turning speed, handling, and jumping ability.
One of the important differences between most of the classic freeride kites on the market is that the Passion MK9 has 3 struts instead of five. The reduction of two struts translates into a lighter kite with more maneuverability and an increased low-end.
Expect increased performance and all-around use from this kite due to the changes made to the MK9. This year we have lowered the aspect ratio, shortened the bridles, and removed all four of the pulleys that were on the MK8; that’s a total of zero! This kite will respond immediately to input and provides direct feedback throughout the more rounded, faster turns.
The MK9 is re-designed, refined, and has redefined the durability of its predecessor, the Passion MK8. The bar pressure is now lighter, it flies more on the front lines and the kite has slightly less grunt, which is compensated by the increased speed.
At RRD, we pride ourselves on providing the highest quality product without cutting corners. Every individual kite size has a customised leading edge diameter. For the smaller sizes, we accomplished maximum rigidity to handle extreme conditions whereas the larger sizes are focused on an LE diameter that has the perfect balance between weight, stiffness, and air penetration.
But wait, there’s more! Relaunching is easier, even in low wind conditions. It is extremely predictable because of the gradually changing power while sheeting is coupled with consistent bar pressure. And due to the increased speed and stability, the MK9 provides an abundance of addicting lift that will generate some huge airs!
- 3-strut construction with additional rounded Kevlar reinforcements
- Double Dacron reinforcements on the middle strut
- Techno Force™ Double Ripstop
- Re-designed air flow valve for easier pumping and deflating with special molded protection cap
For more information about the Passion MK9, please click here
Freestyle / Wakestyle
We are now releasing the tenth version of our pure blooded freestyle kite. This iconic kite has reached a major milestone so we decided to do something BIG! The tenth edition of the Obsession blends the previous Obsession and Obsession Pro into one freestyle machine. This means that we made this kite work perfectly with either four or five lines! The Obsession MK10 will now provide for all who want to jump huge, loop like a boss or want to unhook till their arms fall off.
No compromises were made on the shape and characteristics that distinguish this true freestyle machine. Nor did we leave anything to chance while putting the entire structure of the kite under intense scrutiny. The Obsession MK10 is a pure, fine-tuned, C-shaped kite, designed to be precise, powerful, or very neutral when needed.
The shape of the kite is similar to the previous Obsession Pro MK3. We did, however, adjust the struts position and angle to help the kite rotate better on the surface of the water, which increases relaunch. But the most exciting and notable change to the new MK10 is that we made this kite work perfectly with either four or five lines!
For those who want a pure freestyle 5-line kite but prefer the benefits of a 4-line, this kite will surely exceed your expectations. In this setting, the kite turns faster, increases the depower range, provides more lift, more hang time, and is easier to relaunch.
The 4 line MK10, is ideal for those who decide to dedicate themselves to the freestyle discipline without having to fully commit to a 5-line set up for the hardcore unhooked freestyle or wakestyle disciplines.
Do you want to take your riding to the next level, see your name on top of the leaderboards, be the local hero, demolish personal records, constantly chasing progression, or maybe all of the above? Then you’re ready to step up your game and find your new Obsession… MK10!
- C shaped leading edge design with the choice between a 4 or 5 line set-up! It comes out of the bag with a 4line bridle set-up, which is easily converted to a 5 line set-up. (Comes standard with the kite as well, you just need a 5 line bar then.)
- Redesigned Quick Airflow Valve: A singular point, one way, air flow valve, inflation, and deflation system with a special molded protection cap.This new valve has a smaller diameter and pliable base that allows the perfect leading edge shape and adds to the lifespan of the kite.
- Additional strut reinforcements: all struts are reinforced with Kevlar stitched to the ends which reduce abrasion and the new design also prevents sand from getting into the kite. The middle strut includes Kevlar and an additional layer of Dacron because it suffers the most from impacts.
- Multi-Point line settings: multiple points of connection provide a multitude of adjustments to the flying characteristics of the kite such as depower, bar pressure, turning speed, and turning radius. These changes affect jumping, kite loops, slack, drift, and water relaunch.
- New strut positioning and strut angle for an even better relaunch.
- Techno Force™ Double Ripstop which is a high-density fabric with a tear stopping structure that is constructed with a high tensioning double polyester yarn. This material does not only add to the strength and longevity of our kites, but it also improves the stability and the flying characteristics without adding weight.
For more information about the Obsession MK10, please click here
Synonymous with wave in the international kite language, the Religion MK8 kite is constantly evolving along with the kitesurfing discipline. Improving the already successful Religion each year has become a real challenge. We went back to the drawing boards and started to design from scratch to once again deliver the most responsive, reliable and fastest turning wave kite out there.
The MK8 has a new shape, shorter bridles, and has a higher aspect ratio. This improves the kites turning speed and drifting ability significantly; especially in the larger sizes, from 8m – 12m, the kite turns on the spot, has quicker reaction time when the back lines are not in tension and comfortable light bar pressure. This makes an easier kite to learn wave riding and an acceleration machine that allows for multiple turns on short sections of waves when conditions are not ideal.
Unlike most fast turning surf kites on the market, the Religion MK8 still maintains its signature pull and power that also helps to get in a few extra turns down the line. The newly designed, longer leading edge of the kite not only allows for a more “twisty” feel to increase the turning speed but also creates a more “floaty” behavior of the kite in the air which improves stability when the wind gets very gusty. The improved stability of an already very stable kite design will make riding “tricky conditions” possible both when the wind is super light or super ballistic. The Religion MK8 is the ‘first on- and last of the water’ type of kite.
As always, we built this kite strong and durable so it can take a pounding. The graphics of the Religion have allowed us to create a web of Dacron reinforcements on the canopy that gives the whole structure of the kite an incomparable rigidity. This wave proof construction is made up of 40% heavy duty Dacron fabrics and 60% of a lightweight double-ripstop D2 Technoforce canopy. This unique mix is used only in the Religion kite, creates superior crash resistance, and extends the lifespan of the kite.
The new Religion MK8 allows for a wider range of use both on the high- and low end of the kite. Faster, better lift during jumps, outstanding drifting characteristics, easy relaunch and an enormous progressive de-power that will stop the kites’ power or powers up, exactly when you need it.
- Bulletproof construction that creates a strong structural frame with a mix of 195 grams. Polyant Dacron and lightweight D2
- Techno Force™ Double Ripstop
- Internal extra reinforcements on every leading edge panel to ensure long-lasting stitching and a rigid connection
- Exclusive Strut/Leading edge reinforcement D2 Techno Force™ Double Ripstop panel sewn at 45 degrees: this spreads the impact loads over a wider area (only on bigger sizes)
- Radial reinforcements on the tips to improve durability and reduce stretch
- 195 grams. Polyant Dacron reinforcements on the middle strut
- Kevlar fabric rounded strut ends
For more information about the Religion MK8, please click here
RRD Twintip Boards
Poison LTD V5
The Poison LTD V5 is a coveted creation and the most wanted freestyle board in our range since its introduction. The LTD construction consists of Biaxial Carbon layers on the top and bottom of the board with a specially mix of Paulownia and lighter weight wood, CNC shaped core. It’s 20% lighter, thinner, more responsive, and, of course, provides loads of pop. Once you use the Poison, you’ll immediately fall in love with it. There is something about it that makes it feel just right.
A new outline shape will take the V5 and it’s riders to new heights. These boards have a more continuous but subtle curve on the outline providing comfort and control in a wide range of conditions. A new lamination technology combined with the incorporation of unidirectional carbon stringers resulted in less negative flex and more rigidity. This new lay-up combined with slightly more flex from the top results in more explosive pop, increased speed control, and reduced vibration.
The more squared/swallow tips provide more surface area for grip and increased pop. This tip shape creates a higher angle of attack on the water surface and increased control. The Poison is an amazing freestyle board. This version has a carbon reinforced track system that, in combination with our Rad Pads or boots, enable the rider to make the smallest adjustments needed to perfect their stance for maximum performance.
- CNC shaped mix of Paulownia wood core
- New tip profile on squared/swallow outline
- Reduced Thickness
- Unidirectional carbon stringers
- Carbon reinforced ABS track channels for pads
For more information about the Poison V5, please click here
BLISS LTD V5
Freeride / Freestyle
Due to the previous versions overwhelming popularity, we have decided to offer the Bliss LTD V5. Just as the WOOD version, this progressive freeride/freestyle board grants a fantastic sensation of security while riding in an assortment of conditions.
The Bliss LTD V5 allows riders to enjoy the smooth rides that this board offers while maximizing its freestyle potential. The shape and track channels are the same as the wood version, but the LTD construction consists of Biaxial Carbon layers on the top and bottom of the board with a special mix of Paulownia and lighter weight wood, CNC shaped core. It’s 20% lighter, thinner, more responsive, and, of course, provides loads of pop. Because of the carbon, the board is slightly less forgiving than the wood in choppy waters, due to its response, but still forgiving enough for all level riders to enjoy.
Strap in, load up the lines and take it to the skies to experience the true meaning of Bliss.
For more information about the Bliss V5, please click here
If you haven’t watched Jerrie van de Kop’s movie “Chasing the Wind”, we strongly suggest you do!
Check it out on https://www.redbull.tv/video/AP-1TDVJBKZW2111/follow-the-wind
To check out more kitesurfing products by RRD, please click here
By Jen TylerJen Tyler grew up in the chaos of Cairo, Egypt. It was on the beaches of the Red Sea where her love for the ocean, water sports and adventure grew.