ION Products Jewel 5/4mm 2012 Kitesurfing Review

ION Products Jewel 5/4mm 2012

Reviews / Ladies Wetsuits

ION Products 127,880

At A Glance

The subtitle on the Ion Products website for the Jewel is “Beauty-Design-Stretch-Warmth” and it ticks each of those claims pretty well! Designed predominantly for the kite/wake/windsurf and SUP markets there’s plenty of attention to detail with leg drainage holes and integrated ankle cuffs ensuring toasty warm legs, not to mention the built in ‘Crash Padz’ to protect your shins. The suit is 70% skin neoprene with the other 30% being regular DL neoprene in areas where more movement is required such as the knees, under the arms and around the neck. A specific womens cut, but with simple graphics and subtle roller print design so it doesn’t look overly ‘girly’.

On The Water

The wetsuit is single-lined so requires a bit more careful handling than your average suit, but this TLC is rewarded with enjoyable warm winter kite sessions. Like water off a duck’s back liquid just rolls off. Wind-chill is also kept to a minimum and this really makes a difference when it comes to maintaining a reasonable temperature even in the iciest of Northerly winds. The fit wasn’t as snug as I have been used to, however this wasn’t really noticeable as the wrist, neck and ankle seals are so good. It also allows a thermal rash vest to be worn underneath if you feel you need that extra layer of warmth when temperatures really drop. With a size range from XXS to XXL and tall options for M and L sizes there’s plenty of choice to get a good fit, we’d like to see a small tall option in there though. If you don’t have to walk through bramble bushes to get to the beach then this is an ideal suit for those cold winter winds.

This review was in Issue 30 of IKSURFMAG.

Buy ION Products Wetsuits

Related

Ladies Wetsuits - 2015
Ladies Wetsuits - 2014
Ladies Wetsuits - 2012
Ladies Wetsuits - 2019
Ladies Wetsuits - 2017
Ladies Wetsuits - 2015
Ladies Wetsuits - 2015
Ladies Wetsuits - 2014
Ladies Wetsuits - 2014
By Mary Booth
Mary has been kitesurfing since 2006, she became and instructor in 2007 and travelled the world teaching the sport that she loves! She joined the IKSURFMAG team in 2008 and has been testing ladies kitesurfing equipment and writing articles from a woman's perspective ever since!

Tried this? What did you think?